Vinay B. Patel
Vinay B. Patel was born in Birmingham, England. Vinay’s experience includes representing insurance companies, business entities, property owners' associations, association board members, and individuals in a variety of commercial matters, including litigation and mediation in various disputes. Vinay is board certified in Property Owners Association law.
Vinay provides the following services for our Community Association clients:
- Drafting Community Association Governing Documents
- Amending Community Association Governing Documents
- Creating the Non-Profit Corporation
- Providing General Corporate Representation
- Assessment Collection and Litigation
- Contract Review and Negotiation
- General Corporate Litigation
- Analysis, Interpretation, and Enforcement of the Community Association's Governing Documents
- Creditor's Rights
- Eviction Proceedings
- Property Tax Matters
- Counseling developer representation or committees in the pre-transition, transition and post-transition phases of a community development.
- Defended claims against property owners' associations and board members regarding claims involving board governance, enforcement of deed restrictions, challenges to lien foreclosures, architectural control committee decisions, and counter-claims in assessment disputes.
- Obtained injunctive relief enforcing restrictive covenants in property owners' associations.
- Representation of insureds in declaratory judgment disputes and disputes involving alleged violations of the Texas Property Code and the Deceptive Trade Practices-Consumer Protection Act.
- Obtained summary judgment for client where Plaintiff sought injunctive relief and treble damages.
- Representation of non-profit entity in claim for breach of contract arising out of property damage dispute and mold remediation, resulting in mediated settlement.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Community Associations Institute - D/FW Chapter
- Member, Texas Community Association Advocates - Advisory Council
- Texas Minority Counsel Program - Networking Through Service Project
- Habitat for Humanity
Speeches, Articles and Presentations
- Overview of the 84th Legislative Session - Lunch and Learn Presentation Series (2015)
- Assessment Collections: "Everything You Needed to Know But Were Afraid to Ask" (2014)
- The Association's Foreclosure Sale Results in Ownership by the Association: Now What? (2014
- Xeriscaping: The New Turf War in Texas (2013)
- SBB Leadership Forum: Overview of the 83rd Legislative Session (2013)
- CAI Expo: The Extraordinary Importance of Contract Law
- Changes in Voting Laws for Property Owners Associations in Texas (2012)
- Oklahoma City University School of Law, J.D., 1998, cum laude
- University of Texas at Arlington, B.B.A. in Accounting, 1995
- Texas, 1998
- United States District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Texas